Best leave the Russian dolls in Moscow!
I’m going to take some train orientated films with me on my iPad for the trip. I have had to shortlist my top train classics…
1) “Transiberian” (2008) – Brad Anderson’s film with Woody Harrelson and Ben Kingsley. The plot might go a bit wonky towards the end, but the recreation of the train and the scenery is stunning.
2) “Horror Express” (1972) – Spanish made film with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing on the Trans-Siberian – zombies, Telly Savalas and a cult classic in the making!
3) “Von Ryan’s Express” (1965) – WW2 drama with Frank Sinatra, Trevor Howard and James Garner hijacking a train in Italy. Cracking stuff!
4) “The Great Train Robbery” (1963) – Michael Chrichton’s film with Sean Connery and Donald Sutherland. Not that much actually on the train, but still a train based film.
5) “Planes, Trains and Automobiles” (1987) – John Hughes directs Steve Martin and John Candy in what was surely his finest hour.
6) “Silver Streak” (1976) – Gene Wilder, Richard Pryor & Patrick McGoohan star in a great adventure movie set to a Henri Mancini soundtrack. They dont make them like this any more..
7) “From Russia with Love” (1963) – Possibly the best Bond film of all time?
8) “The Cassandra Crossing” (1975) – All star cast of plague on a train from the 70’s. Need I say more.
9) “Murder on the Orient Express” (1974) – Sidney Lumet’s mystery train classic with Albert Finney. Perhaps the best known train franchise ever.
10) “The Darjeeling Limited” (2007) – Comedy drama from Wes Anderson set in several Indian provinces.
I just hope they will all fit into 64GB of memory for my iPad.